1) Finally saw a great curling free kick. Beckham's looked pretty ordinary throughout the world cup but has managed to be instrumental in the crucial goals England have scored. I couldn't find a video of the one he scored last night but here's a link to the one he scored in the dying minutes of the game against Greece to help England qualify 4 years ago. They didn't look too convincing but Ecuador was even worse. They showed no urgency while losing and seemed happy to lose 1-0.
2) Did you know that the German coach, Jurgen Klinsmann, lives in California, and even though he's been the head coach for almost 2 years still hasn't moved to Germany. He's also hired an American sports psychologist and judging by the way the Germans are playing it seems to be paying off in spite of all the criticism he's had to endure. The Germany-Argentina quarterfinal is a mouthwatering prospect.
3) Last night's Portugal-Holland match was fun to watch with all the fighting - especially Luis Figo's headbutting. Even funnier is what the Portugese coach, Scolari, said: "Jesus said we should turn the other cheek, unfortunately, Figo is not Jesus Christ." Damn, maybe that could have solved the Da Vinci code.
4) In the comments to my last post, Zico's bicycle kick was being talked about. Here's a link if you want to see the video. It was against New Zealand.
5) The ref in the Australia-Italy match was just shocking. The standard of refereeing has been abysmal and no way was it a penalty. The referee must have been blind. Feel sad for Australia who dominated Italy. Australia clearly missed Harry Kewell and his finishing touches. So many chances went abegging. Oddly enough Italy will probably make it all the way to the semis as neither the Swiss nor Ukrainians have looked worthwhile.