1) In the land of Oktoberfest and 1300 breweries, the official beer of the world cup is Budweiser!
2) Why doesn't Fifa clamp down on all the fake injuries and theatrics? Can't they impose bans or suspensions after the match based on TV replays? Watching these tough guys writh in agony and then get back on the field the moment there's no red card is frustrating. They're highly paid athletes representing their country in the biggest tournament in the world but have no qualms coming across as a bunch of wimps. Remember Rivaldo in the 2002 World cup against Turkey? These guys should be made to watch some American football. If they see the kind of pounding the average NFL quarterback takes from a 350 pound defensive lineman they'll probably realise how ridiculous they look sometimes.
3) The Dutch put on a sick display yesterday against Ivory Coast. One of the halftime commentators called it cheating for all the theatrics and shameless fouls. The Ivory Coast team was vastly superior and it's a pity they're out of the tournament.
4) France, England and Germany have put on the most boring displays in the tournament so far. Though I have a feeling that their tight defense will carry at least one of England or Germany through to the final.
5) Ghana is (till they're knocked) my favourite team now. Their domination of the Czech republic was fascinating to watch and I loved the way they kept attacking and didn't fall back to defend like the Germans or the English.
6) Ever noticed how a goalkeeper behaves when he makes a save? He rushes out, shouts at his players and then waves his arms around. That's his moment in the sun. But after he lets a goal through it's a shrug of the shoulders, nobody to blame and a feeble kick at the football.
7) Are the Italians more concerned about their hairstyles or the game? Each one of those players seems to take a lot of time adjusting their hair the moment they're not near a football. Maybe that's why teams like Brazil and Germany do well - most of their players have short, cropped hair unlike the Italians.
8) The Italy-USA game was pretty dramatic and very open. Maybe referees should hand out red cards more regularly to reduce the number of players on the field and make it more exciting. It also gives the players who are sent off a break towards the end.